April 30, 2012

Are Brazilians Latinos?

Of course we are, at least if Latino means Latin American!

I'm always puzzled by some American doubts! Here in Brazil, people unaware of US made definitions and succeeding cultural dilemmas, call Latino any culture or people whose language has Latin as its major influence.

My personal perception is that the US made definitions of LATINO and HISPANIC are just bad generalizations, just like GRINGO is a Latin American one. Why? Because Latino and Hispanic are neither races, nor cultures. In fact, Latin America is a geographic definition: Brazil plus all Spanish speaking countries in the American Continent.

While you stick to North American stereotypes (trying to find more or less common ground from Rio Grande to Ushuaya), you will be in doubt for ever...

2 comments:

  1. My husband always got bend out of shape when I referred to him as a Hispanic - believe me, it only happened a couple times when filling out a survey or paperwork. And I think paperwork, surveys the census is why Americans perhaps categorized our foreign friends incorrectly! I think we only have about five options... HA! But I learned my lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to think that Latino were a race in a specified state within south america. but now i know its all of south america itself. haha. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete