May 22, 2012

Italian Restaurants in São Paulo

São Paulo houses the largest Italian population in Brazil. There are many Italian restaurants, as you may expect, most of them with Northern Italian accent. What you may not know is that over the years many São Paulo restaurants have hired Northern Brazilians as cookers and with them came their non Italian influences. More important, however, is that some Italian ingredients are not available in Brazil, or their Brazilian counterparts don't taste the same.

Does this mean there aren´t good or even excellent Italian restaurants in São Paulo? Well, it depends on your references... Most of them are more authentic than the ones in the US. Some fulfill any expectations. The two I like most are:
Vinheria Percussi: famous for the extense wine list and the quality and speed of its cuisine.
Restaurante Cosi: "cosi" in Italian means "this way". It's a place where the food is prepared the way it should.

I wouldn't recommend, however, local restaurants that cost up to 6 times more than top Italian restaurants in Italy! I'm talking about Fasano et alli...

8 comments:

  1. Yum! Italian food is one of my favorites... we live near Palmeiras and have a number of great places over here as well (outside of the bela vista/bixiga area). Have you tried the File Parm?

    ps. Is there a way to subscribe to your blog via email?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments. Now you can follow my blog by email. Choose the web version, look at the right column and you'll find the subscription gadget.
    Do you know there is no File Parm in Parma? I lived in Parma for six months, looked for it in every restaurant and it was not there. I found, however, the famous Baked Eggplant Parmesan. I think the Paulistas took the eggplant dish and created its meat version. You have me a good idea for a post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Thanks for sharing this post to us and keep posting. This is really helpful for families who is looking for a great place to have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just tried Italian food for once or twice in my life and i liked it very much. your post is also nice i liked it.. keep going..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work.
    restaurants in berkshire

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was wondering if I could use this write-up on my other website, I will link it back to your website though.Great Thanks. Life Size Monkeys Statues

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post. singapore best Bedok mall

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. bugis food to eat

    ReplyDelete